Thursday, February 28, 2008

Orbicular


Orbicular

6" x 6"

Acrylic on Wood Panel

This painting is SOLD.

This is brightly-colored floral mandala painting seems to emanate beyond the edges of the wood panel! My abstract paintings are very process-oriented and carry a spiritual meaning related to the mystery of existence and a reverence for the unfolding process of life. While working on paintings that are this detailed and colorful, I become so immersed in the work that applying paint becomes a meditative process through which I strive to achieve balance amidst chaos (similar to the concept of mushin). The colors and designs arise spontaneously and reflect my interest in tribal and aboriginal art, specifically in the act of storytelling through nonrepresentational means. My abstract art is also heavily inspired by my world travels, particularly my visits to remote tribal villages in the Kutch region of India, as well as my visits to temples and roadside shrines in Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal. The surface of this painting has a slight texture, to lend it a charming air of depth and substance.

2 comments:

Rachel Stratton said...

I LOVE ALL OF THESE PAINTINGS! Did you do them or who is the artist of them because I really like the designs!

Rachel Stratton said...

I LOVE ALL OF THESE PAINTINGS! Did you do them or who is the artist of them because I really like the designs!